Feeding duck eggs to ducks and drakes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Feb 28, 2012.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    So if I mash up boiled duck eggs with the shells included am I risking the health of my drakes due to too much calcium? The seem to be so hungry these days thought I would try what we have a wealth of - duck eggs. Although so far they just walk away from them.....picky, spoiled ducks!

Guess I will have to mix some frozen peas in to get them to eat the egg.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    If it's done in occasion I don't believe it will be a problem.

3. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I always scramble all my extra duck eggs (smooshed-up shells and all) to feed them back to my ducks. Mine wouldn't ever touch hard-boiled eggs, but they love them scrambled! [​IMG]

I've always fed them to ducks AND drakes. Although, it seems like the girls usually push the guys out of the way and end up getting more than their fair share! [​IMG]

4. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Do you put anything in the egg other than the egg itself? They still haven't touched the boiled eggs....darned ducks. Should have saved them for the humans. [​IMG]

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    When I had runners and extra eggs I boiled some of the ducks eggs. The chickens and the dogs LOVED them, the ducks wouldn't touch them. When I boiled extra chicken eggs, everybody, including the ducks, ate them.

Who knows... In my limited experience, ducks are slow to accept new textures/flavors. My muscovy would not touch tomato for about 2 months but now love them.

6. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I even mixed a couple of cups of frozen peas (heated) in with the eggs. They meticulously picked out the peas and left the egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by