1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Feeding Ducklings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ang, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Ang

Ang Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have 4 ducklings on order. I need advice on how to feed them. Are they okay eating chicken feed or do I need to find them something else? Thanks!

2. coloradochick

coloradochick Songster

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Morning Ang,

Our Purina dealer said that the Start n Grow medicated that I'm feeding the chicks is fine for the ducks too. The medicated Purina feed is NOT toxic to them and they've been doing great. We're going on 4 weeks now and they're growing like weeds. [​IMG]

Cara

3. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Songster

Mar 23, 2008
    First and foremost: DO NOT GIVE THEM MEDICATED FEED! These feed formulations are meant and developed for chickens. medicated water supplements the same thing.

I feed my ducklings an Honor product called Duck/ Goose/ Chick Nonmedicated Starter Grower. I kept the egg layers on that till 20 weeks then put them on a layer ration. Any starter without medication and around 21 percent protien should do, but i like a little courser grind for them.

The meat ducks I switched to a Turkey grower crumble at 2 weeks, and then a pellet at 6 weeks. At 9 weeks they were about 10 pounds.

Ducks will shovel their food rather than peck and found the 1 gallon plastic ice cream tubs work the best for food and water after a couple weeks. In my duck brooder I have a 2 foot square cut out at one end and placed half inch screen, with a large pan underneath. Ducks are VERY messy drinkers, and you will have forever wet litter if you dont have a drainage system.

Once the ducks leave the brooder I use 3 gallon rubber tubs with 2x4 wire cit out and covering the tops so they cant use their drinking fountain as a toilet as well.

Hope this helps.

4. Ang

Ang Songster

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    Thank you, Professor! We have had adult ducks before and a couple of ducklings last year. They all got taken by a predator last summer. I never knew if I was doing the ducklings a favor by giving them chick starter or not. I am so glad that I found this forum!

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've always raised my ducklings on Purina Start & Grow medicated. The amprolium in it is not a medication even tho it's called medicated.....it's a preventative against cocci.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  6. coloradochick

coloradochick Songster

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG] That's what the feed store guy told me so I went with what he said. I figured he knew what he's talking about. And my 3 are doing great like I said above. Thanks for reassuring my Katy.

C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: