1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by weebles&wobblesmom, Mar 28, 2011.

1. weebles&wobblesmom

weebles&wobblesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ok, I'm confused. I have a week old duckling and I have him on chick starter (unmedicated), I was told that I could keep him on it for up to a year, yet some of the other sites I have read says to switch to a Grower when they reach a week or 2.

I am going chicks and another duckling in about 3 weeks and I wanted to keep the "older" duckling with the new ones, so can I keep him on Chick starter or will I HAVE to seperate them and put him on a Grower?

Thanks

2. Duckles

Duckles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    West Mass
    I had asked the same question at the farmer's supply and they said I could switch them over from chick starter to regular food at around 3 weeks because they are pets. If you're trying to fatten them up for meat I think it's a little longer...

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    You should but game bird starter feed which has niacin in it. The chicken feed does not have it.

I know some people "lucked out" with chicken feed, but if you love your ducks, please feed them correctly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by