1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding ducks=harassing animals?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by desertdarlene, Jan 29, 2011.

1. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    At the lake that I go to, they have put up signs stating that feeding ducks is prohibited under a certain fish and game code that is says it is harassment to feed wild animals. I looked up the code and, yes, there is a code, but it's under hunting regulations and seems to indicate that feeding (or even breeding) animals can be considered harassment. But, if you read the entire section, this seems to mean that it is illegal to feed the animals for the purpose of attracting them to an area to be hunted or harassed, not feeding them in a city park or backyard. If you were to go only by this part of the law, then hanging a backyard feeder would be illegal.

At this lake, the feeding has gotten way out of control, that's for sure. It does need to be curtailed, but I don't like that the take a section of the law that doesn't fit and use it to intimidate people. They hang the sign right above another sign that says there's a $10,000 penalty for harassing wildlife.

In case anyone's wondering, I don't usually feed the animals because I don't think it helps them in the long run and does attract pests. But, I do bring a small amount of seed for the "special" domestic ducks like Tom and Oreo, and a few of my favorite wild ducks like Curly (who has the deformed bill), Cinnamon, and Ducky. I don't want to feed every duck in the place.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What you are dealing with is the difference between the "letter" of the law and the "intent" of the law. Officials there are bending the law to serve their intent, but if caught they might try to make a case against you.[​IMG]

3. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, I know. I could fight it if I have enough time and money. But, I probably won't. I don't think they're really going to go after many people unless it's obviously an issue. I rarely feed if at all and only small amounts, discreetly. I had a friend who was feeding all the animals there everyday for years and they said nothing to him until a few months ago. I haven't seen or heard about anyone else being told to stop.

I will stop if asked, of course, but I won't be happy about it. I understand the need to get people to stop, the feeding was really out of control.

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    That stinks, i mean its a hunting regulation to prevent baiting not enjoying them at the park like you said!

5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think it all started when a city worker hurt his knee by stepping into a squirrel hole. Also, a lady broke her hip on a squirrel hole, too. But, as long as I've been living in the area, there have been squirrel holes and nothing has ever been done about them. Plus, the pigeons and coots were causing other problems.

What I think they should have done is have the community group assign certain people to feed the domestic ducks and geese healthy food in one area away from traffic. Then, tell other people that there is someone who comes everyday and makes sure they get fed. I don't know if that would have stopped people as a lot of people like to bring their families to feed ducks as a tradition. But, it might make some people feel better (people like me who are concerned about the domestic animals getting enough to eat).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Oh gosh.. [​IMG] So when I go out to the yard - sit down and hold a container of food and my ducks and they climb all over my legs hit me in the face with their wings and scratch me with their claws I am harrassing THEM.... [​IMG]

How stupid some laws are. While I agree that in circumstance wild animals should not be provided with food ( regardless of if it is to attract them for hunting- for photography - or any other reason ) - going to a park with children and feeding the ducks has been an enjoyable pass time for thousands of families all over the world for generations. How many people who put the kids into the car..drive to the park with a few crusts of bead are going to turn around and tell their kids - " Oh Sorry we cant feed the ducks here today after all.."

7. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thing is....you don't live in California...you don't know laws [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    The laws in the country have gotten way out of control and I think we as citizens have to do what we can to stop it and take our country back. This is why youth of today have such problems...everything they can do that doesn't cost has to have some sort of law, liability or limitation attached to it. While I certainly don't advocate the feeding of bread to ducks, that's an education issue and not a legal one. I sure cheer you and your town on in geting this kind of nonsense stopped...we need to nip stuff like this in the bud before they start bending all sorts of laws to suit their desire to fine people over trivial things.

9. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Part of me is torn because I do think too much feeding goes on there, but I don't like scaring and confusing people regarding the law. Last thing I want to is be accused of harassing or abusing animals. And, there's people who see those signs and may actually think that this also applies to backyard feeders and nest boxes and won't put those up in their yards.

ETA: A side story--when I would go and photograph shy birds, like killdeer, I whistle so not to startle them and make them fly away. Well, when most of the ducks that are there, now, were ducklings, a guy would come to feed them while I was photographing the killdeer and doing the whistle. Now, all I have to do is the whistle and many of the ducks come right up to me (and a couple of the geese, too).

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Some of the problem may come from people feeding inappropriate foods to the animals too. There really are a lot of idiots running around loose and they don't see a problem in feeding cheetos or even chewed gum to animals....just to see them eat. Yet another case of an idiot ruining something for the rest.

sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by