1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by birdnutz, Nov 20, 2008.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Everyone talks about waterfowl feed. I don't use it. Mine is a mix of gamebird grower and scratch. And of course their token coffee can of dry dog food for a treat 2X a day. I tried the purina waterfowl and ended up loosing one of my silkie drakes. The others were looking skinny and in distress. The protein source was soy bean. Could this have been it? Or did I just get a bad bag of food?
    I'll probably not change my feeding but just curious. My bantam ducks hatched out around 30 babies this spring and I've never had any trouble with angel wing. Except with 2 goslings that kept breaking into the duck area and gorging out on the food.LOL

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i use a game bird/turkey feed as well with my runners and have no problems. i mix in half scratch half feed. I also feed them treats such as floating koi food (good protien), peas, lettuce, tomatoes, hard boiled eggs chopped finely with the shells still on, cottage cheese, the occasional spaghetti noodle which they love. we justhstarted giving them nightcrawlers and let them "fish" for guppies in their pool for extra protien since our back yard is not huge enough for strictly forging. I've been told that dog or cat food is not the greatest for them for many different reasons so i avoid it. their are many other ways of getting protein in the diet, or restricting it. I like to just give my birds a nice mix of all sorts of friut and leafy veggies to keep them happy and entertained.

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Ours get laying pellets mostly and treats that are leftovers.
    They eat just about anything and I have not had any die from what we have feed them.

So sorry you lost any ducks.

4. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    I know 'I'm bad" they used to eat mix veggies and other healthy things. They still love crawlers and feeder fish. But not the veggies. They found the dog bowl last summer and I was bored. Threw them some and the bad habit started. Now if they see you they'll run and fly a mile for their dog food. 2 cans for 54 ducks isn't extreme. I hope. DH and I joke that if you don't give it to them that the black hord will take you down.LOL

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    I feed my ducks mostly Dumor showbird feed,(chick starter for the 2 1/2week olds,and 5 week olds), and grower finisher for the 4 month + olds, (I have a few ducks that are 2 + years old)...they probly need to be switched over to the next feed soon...

as well as cracked corn seperatly and laying mash,

they get goldfish as treats, and cat food.

and everyone looks really good, and fat as all get out! [​IMG]

my Mallard drakes look really good, they're nice and bright, everyone has really good feathers. [​IMG]

and they've recently discovered a new love of....CLOVERS [​IMG]

6. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    You're right to be concerned about soy based feeds which have unfortunately dominated the market since the Mad Cow Disease scare. Soy's precursor to estrogen factors can cause hormone imbalance problems for both animals and humans if consumed in excess .
    Ducks need meat or fish and cat food is a good supplement. I use Purina duck grower with no problems but my birds free range and have access to bugs, frogs, earthworms etc.
    Feeding Gamebird feed exclusivley would most likely be too much protien but sounds like most of you cut it with scratch grains. If one feeds waterfowl too much grain (corn etc) it can cause too much weight gain and fertility problems.
    Too much protien can cause leg and angel wing problems especially in ducklings.

7. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I feed my ducks and geese a mixture of Purina Flockraiser, whole red wheat, whole oats, and some Mazuri (Purina) Waterfowl feed mixed in. I was told by Dave Holderread to add the oats and wheat to reduce the overall amount of protein in the diet.
    Gamebird feed is good because it usually has added niacin that waterfowl need but it does have too much protein.

8. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I feed all my birds layer because I can't get waterfowl feed, and it's easier--I can be lazy with so many different kinds of birds and NO access to flock raiser. I also supplement with scratch (though last year I was feeding strictly scratch, which they love, but I've learned better.) They also have free range, which has grown in amount since the snow hasn't fallen yet and fall rains have greened things up again a bit. They also get all of my garden weeds and occasional treats from inside. I'll remember about cat food and give them a boost on occasion. I'm sure my chickens won't complain if they end up getting a piece or two either.

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    The protein source was soy bean. Could this have been it?

Yes. That stuff is evil and it is in EVERYTHING now days.​

10. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    I feed mine Purina Mills Layena pellets (I think thats what its called?) and I've never lost any ducks from it. its suitable to feed to chickens too, I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by