1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Feeding ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NineChickens, Mar 12, 2018.

1. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    Can ducks AND drakes eat 16% layer feed along with my chickens? If not, will I need to provide oyster shell along with new food? If I have to switch any suggestions? I can't find all flock ANYWHERE so i'd have to order it online (unless there is another more convenient type of feed) if thats what i need.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Do you have anyone nearby who provides purina feeds? If so their flock raiser is an appropriate food for mixed flocks... simply provide calcium on the side for those that need it. Alternatively if you can find a starter or grower or finisher ration that meets the protein needs it will not have the access of calcium of a layer ration.

4. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...mbles-premium-poultry-feed-50-lb?cm_vc=-10005 Is this what you mean? Also are drakes allowed to eat oyster shells? Or should I just try to separate him when I feed the girls? Would they need oyster shells year round or just spring/summer time? Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to be sure. :)

casportpony likes this.
  5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes that is the feed many of us use f2ffor our flocks

No need to be sorry for being a caring cautious flockmaster by asking question oyster shell is one of those things everyone might peck at to investigate but only those who really need it consume at a rate of any significance. It can be kept in a dish in the general flock area

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging 7 Years

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They only need the OS in a separate container when they are laying but if you can keep it dry, it doesn't hurt to keep it available at all times.

Miss Lydia and casportpony like this.
  7. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    Awesome! I'll try to make the switch for my hens while the ducks are still in the brooder.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member 8 Years

Buy crumble it comes in pellet too but ducklings won't be able to eat pellet.

9. NineChickens

NineChickens Chirping

May 23, 2017
    Yeah, that seems to be the only type I can find of it anyway.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. 3bird

3bird Songster

Apr 2, 2017
    Rockland, Maine
    We use Mazuri Waterfowl Maintenance for our mini-flock of two drakes and five ducks. Tractor Supply special orders it for us. We offer it free choice and we also offer oyster shells free choice. In addition, our girls get eggshells most days. They may get even more excited about the eggshells then they do about mealworms! ;-)

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: