1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dirtdoctor, Sep 12, 2009.

1. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Hollister, Califronia
    Ok, we started out with 3 day old Khaki Campbell ducklings, after months of feeding and mucking out there box. They have finally graduated to the out doors, Sharing a huge yard with a dozen chickens. As time has progressed, a predator ate the only male, and last week one of the females just layed down, and DIED. (under the front poarch steps, Causing me to semi-destroy the steps to get to her).

In my searching for a reason for a 3 month old duck to croak. I keep going back to the chicken feed. We have used DUCK feed for ever on them, and several weeks ago started the weaning off of DUCK Feed and now they all eat the chicken lay- pellets. CEPT the duck gets some extra treats, Broccoli, veggies, and various bugs that get in her way.

Is there some connection with Chicken feed that is not good for DUCKs?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Jack

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Sorry to hear about your girl. [​IMG]

From everything I have read, the chicken lay pellets should not have had anything to do with it. Have any of your chickens been sick?

3. dirtdoctor

dirtdoctor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Hollister, Califronia
    80 other birds do well on the chicken feed. I was wondering if the duck had found some tomato plants to eat.. I hear that they can harm a duck.

Jack

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I had heard that tomato plants were bad for ducks too, then in a few threads around these forums people mentioned their ducks devouring entire tomato plants.

I wish I were more help.

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Maybe it was something genetic? that just caused her to shut down. she also could ahve eaten something i guess.

i've never had a problem with the ducks eating chicken food. everyone did well on it. but as prices have went up i switched everyone over to "all purpose poultry" it's more commonly sold for ducks than anything. everyones done great on that too.

i dont know if thats sold everywhere but you could try looking it up online to check & maybe switch to that if you really think it might be the feed. if your other hen is still doing fine though i wouldnt worry about the feed.

*((and for anyone that may have a problem with the name of it, i am not saying its truly all purpose, that's just the name of it. like i said, it's mainly sold for ducks.))*

6. purplepillbug73

purplepillbug73 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    Silver City
    Have you heard of hardware disease? Its when ducks eat little pieces of metal like nails or coins. The "hardware" then leaches toxins into the duck's body, poisoning it over a period of days or weeks. Then the duck will usually have problems walking and just keel over. The duck sometimes loses interest in eating or will isolate itself from the flock.

7. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Sounds like she swallowed something nasty.

I was thinking maybe she was eggbound, but isn't three months a little too early for egg production? o_O;

8. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    Sorry to hear about your girl. I am still learning about ducks. My ducks love my tomatos. THey are always in my garden eating them. They all seem just fine. I hope you find out what it was.

9. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I had a khaki campbell die like that too. She was 6 months old. She was laid up for maybe a week not walking or eating much. I thought she was egg bound at first but she continued to lay an egg everyday until she died. I am suspecting hardware disease like purplepillbug73 mentioned.

10. seaneduck

seaneduck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Pleasant Grove, Utah
    I sure hope tomato plants aren't bad for ducks! My two male calls LOVE tomato greens. I pull off a few handfuls of tomato leaves for them every day, and they devour them. (Makes their poop a lovely dark green) but they haven't seemed any worse for wear. Been doing that all summer long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by