feeding ducks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joannec328, Aug 19, 2011.

1. joannec328

joannec328 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    How much and how often should I feed my 6 ducks crumble? They free range for most of the day and i give them fruits and veggies as treats, but im not sure if i am overfeeding them the crumble..i give them about 6 cups in the morning and 6 cups in the evening before they are put up for the night .

2. Kaelinstorm

Kaelinstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    I could be wrong but Im not sure if you can overfeed them...? I havent had a problem with mine yet. And I just dump out a guesstimated amount of cracked corn or crumble to feed between my ducks and chickens. All of them free range. No one looks under or overfed

3. Fireraven0613

Fireraven0613 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2011
    I don't think you can really over feed them. I had a few ducks years ago and we just left a huge feeder full of feed out there for them at all times. They were never "fat" birds. I do the same now with my chickens. I don't even limit my broilers like some people tend to do.

4. joannec328

joannec328 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2011
    my husband thinks i am overfeeding them because they are huge...but they are Giant Pekin ducks..also how old before they start laying eggs?? Mine are 5 months old..i have 3 boys and 3 girls..will they sit on just one egg? or wait until they have a bunch?

5. Kaelinstorm

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Umm Pekins are LARGE so youre probably good. As for sitting eggs they will lay about a weeks worth before they will sit on them full time. Because what would be the point of a bunch hatching over a week or more time when you can just save them up and have them hatch around the same day. Mine laid 12 and hatched them all over a period of 2 days. Most on the first day but 2 on the the second day. As for laying... I cant remember when my girls started laying. But they didnt get broody until they were close to around a year old. It was also their first mature aged summer so I dont know if that had something to do with it. Or the fact that I had just brought in baby chickens and just like humans they went "Awww! I want one!" LOL

6. Kaelinstorm

May 17, 2011
    Lampasas
    Also FYI Let your hubby know that Pekins are large because they are bred to be large. They are mainly bred for meat. Mine was for a pet [​IMG] They dont lay a large number of eggs but they have huge personalities to go with those big ol bodies [​IMG]

7. saladin

saladin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    the South
    I feed ducks as little as possible. One 1/2 gallon scoop of whole shelled corn for 35 or 40 LARGE Muscovies once a day. This way they are forced to forage for themselves across the yard, garden and field.

It saves money, rids the yard of bugs, and rids the garden of weeds/bugs. It is both economical and practical.

Forgot to add, my Muscovies (particularly my Chocolates) are consider to be some of the best in the US. I raise Paul Witt's Chocolates. My Silvers, Blues, and Blacks aren't bad either.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    My ducks have access to feed 24/7.

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree 100%
    I would hate to think what those big Muscovies Drakes that I have here would eat if I would full feed them.

Chris

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Got Pics? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by