1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Feeding DuMor Organic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Caroline's Ladies, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:54 AM.

1. Caroline's Ladies

Caroline's Ladies Chirping

May 2, 2018
    I switched over to regular Dumor chick starter to DuMor ORGANIC Starter/Grower Crumble. My pullets are 13 weeks old. Has anyone had experience with the DuMor organic line? We are getting a TSC in town so it will be a quick jaunt over there instead of the feed store 20 minutes away. However, I am obviously willing to drive there for good feed.

Attached Files:

2. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I haven't been able to try this feed, because it is always old at my TSC. From all indications I believe this may be made by Nature's Best, so it should be a decent feed. The date on the feed should be the last 5 numbers with three being the day of the year & ending in 18 for 2018. Let us know how it goes!

Caroline's Ladies likes this.
  3. Caroline's Ladies

May 2, 2018
    Thanks Cindy!!!!

4. Caroline's Ladies

May 2, 2018
    Mine was made last summer.

5. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    The thing with 'organic feed' is....... most chicken owners will pass on it and just go with whatever feed is cheapest, thus leaving these organic feeds to sit on the shelf a lot longer than your regular feeds. So, if organic is a must for your chickens, just know that...... although I could be totally wrong and your store always provide newer feeds constantly, it all depends on the store, they should have a system in their computers that they can monitor as far as sales go and say, not order a ton of organic feed to sit knowing they only sell a few bags per month.

6. Caroline's Ladies

May 2, 2018
    Do you think it’s still good? I called both Tractor Supply’s nearest to my home and they are both 2017.

7. Caroline's Ladies

May 2, 2018
    I called TSC and spoke to the manager and she said that they can’t keep it on the shelf so that’s weird because insure had to drive 40 minutes away to get some when the other store didn’t have it and they only had 2 left on the shelf. It must be from the factory sitting around. We live 45 minutes north of Chicago and 45 minutes south of Milwaukee so I think there are more hipsters that want organic around here.

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I would not believe it laid around at the factory. TSC's problem is their warehouse system. It may have just been brought to the store, but they do not properly maintain the first in first out inventory system at the warehouse & they don't seem to care! The Nature's Best is usually much fresher at my TSC, but sometimes can be old also. I know that it is a couple dollars more than the Dumour Organic. I managed to finally get some great organic feed at a local feed store & actually a 50lb bag cost less than the 40 pound bag of Nature's Best at TSC. Maybe you can check some feed stores in your area. I will do some digging to see what's available in your area. Good luck!

9. Caroline's Ladies

May 2, 2018
    Thanks for the info!!

10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Crowing

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/where-buy You can check out this link. It appears they have a lot of feed stores that carry their feeds around Chicago, but you would have to check price & availability of their Organic Harvest feed. I have used this feed & liked it, but since my feed store in PA got it from a distributor & not the company, it was not as fresh I wanted & was also more expensive, but was only 2 months old. I didn't check Milwaukee. Good luck. This feed is out of Ohio.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by