Feeding eggs back to chickens?

MurKay

Chirping
Mar 7, 2018
I have had an issue with some of my hens not having feathers on their backs, close to their tail feathers. I thought maybe it was a pecking issue, but after some research, they may be lacking some protein (which makes sense because bugs and such are still in short supply). My question is, can I feed them their own eggs to boost their protein?

I feed mine eggs all the time. What type of ration are you feeding? Switch to something with a higher protein.

Another reason for pecking is boredom and confinement. How big is your set up?

I have had an issue with some of my hens not having feathers on their backs, close to their tail feathers. I thought maybe it was a pecking issue, but after some research, they may be lacking some protein (which makes sense because bugs and such are still in short supply). My question is, can I feed them their own eggs to boost their protein?
You can feed them the eggs but they should be hard boiled first and they will not boost the protein since eggs are only about 12% protein.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/protein-in-egg

I feed mine eggs all the time. What type of ration are you feeding? Switch to something with a higher protein.

They have a huge setup. Tons of room and they are really only in the coop and run at night. The free range throughout most of the day. What would you suggest for feed? I was feeding a mix of egg shell pellets and scratch, but with it getting warmer, I’ve been weaning off the scratch so they don’t get too hot.

They have a huge setup. Tons of room and they are really only in the coop and run at night. The free range throughout most of the day. What would you suggest for feed? I was feeding a mix of egg shell pellets and scratch, but with it getting warmer, I’ve been weaning off the scratch so they don’t get too hot.
A layer ration has bare minimum for a protein content, scratch will cut your daily protein intake even more, and give you problems, especially with higher production breeds.

I personally feed an All Flock ration, you can feed something like that or even a non medicated grower. Look for something with 18-22% protein. I had problems when I fed a layer too. I keep a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Other than free ranging throughout the day, have you been giving them more than egg shell pellets and scratch?

I keep a mini food processor on the counter and give the boiled eggs a rough chop, then mix them in their wet feed, sometimes adding some peas and cut string beans. They practically lick the bowl...LOL!

I occasionally boil a boneless steak or pork chop, cut into strips, and throw it in the mix.

Back
Top Bottom