1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding eggs back to chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sabrinainmiss, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    Just wormed my chickens and I know you can not eat eggs for 2 weeks so can you cook them and feed them back to the chickens? I just hate to throw them all away.[​IMG]

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    You can, or you can just feed them to them raw. I give mine eggs all the time...sometimes I forget to carry something out to carry them back in with LoL So they belong to the chickens.

3. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I give mine scrambled eggs all the time... I don't like the idea of feeding them raw eggs just in case it gives them a taste for it and they figure out where it comes from... I also don't give them the shells unless they're ground up VERY fine...

I don't know about giving them the eggs with the wormer in them... It might lengthen the time you have to wait to eat the eggs since you'd be sort of re-dosing them every day. I'm not sure though...

4. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I have been giving mine their own eggs for almost 3 years with no issues of them trying to eat them without my help LoL
    When I pick them up and carry them out of the house (not in a basket) the whole flock crowds you bc they know they are about to get a 'treat' LoL

5. Sabrinainmiss

Sabrinainmiss Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2007
    Gothenburg, Nebraska
    I have always fed them eggs but was concerned about the wormer medicine. I want to use the eggs but don't want to harm the birds?

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I have never fed eggs back to my chickens and never will, personal preference.

7. hooligan

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    I don't see how it would really affect anything but you could PM DLHunicorn about it....she would def. know [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by