Feeding 'em dough?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by GA_Gypsy, Jun 4, 2011.

1. GA_Gypsy

GA_Gypsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    N. Georgia
    Hey all,

I made a sad attempt at trying to get some yeast bread to rise last nite and failed miserably. It has basic ingredients in it so I was thinking it would be safe to toss over to the chickens, but I just wanted to check with you first. Thanks!!!!

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    you can... but i would bake it first.. even though it may be a brick.. but that way I think anyway it will lower the chance of the yeast rising and expanding in their stomach.. and make it easier to dish it out.

3. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! We bake our own bread as well and I have given them dough, but usually I mix it with bread crumbs to make it less sticky. However, usually I do bake it first as was suggested. Better luck next time...sometimes it raises nicely in the oven even if it didn't rise so well on the counter!

4. Alethea

Alethea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Hi. I'd bake it first. Even if it isn't bread as we know it, the chickens might like it. I was once at an animal hospital and there was a dog who'd eaten dough the night before. Its people didn't think anything of it but the dough rose inside the dog and by morning it was seriously ill and was admitted as a surgical emergency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by