Feeding everybody...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nobodyherebutuschickens, Aug 6, 2011.

1. nobodyherebutuschickens

nobodyherebutuschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    I've found numerous posts related to my query but none that gave me the exact kind of answer I was looking for.

I have eight laying hens, about ONE YEAR old, and one of them went broody a while ago and decided to hatch some eggs. So now I've got a Momma hen and her six little mutt babies, THREE WEEKS old, that have already (miraculously, and with absolutely no fuss at all) been integrated into the flock. I was feeding the big girls layer feed and the little ones (through an ingenious crate system that keeps the big girls out) chick starter, but now that has run out. Is there something that I can feed my chickens that ALL of them can eat? Or would it be best to keep giving the chicks something different? When should I take them off of chick starter and put them on chick grower? It would be nice if I could give them all the same thing. Thanks!

2. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

Momma hen will show her biddies what to eat and how and where to find it. I'd stop the grower feed at about 4 months(personal opinion) Any of the pullets could start laying in a few more weeks, so they'll be eating the scratch/layer feed mix. I find it simpler just tossing the same mix of feed to the whole flock. Someone is always gonna grab a bite!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Since my younger flock of hens decided raising babies is what they were put on this planet for [​IMG] , I just switched both flocks over to flockraiser. That way every one can eat it, from tiniest chick to oldest hen, and all I have to do is offer oyster shell on the side for my laying hens.

4. nobodyherebutuschickens

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Flockraiser. That's genius!!! [​IMG] Also... I'm assuming that at least half of my babies are going to be roos, so if I decide to keep one, would he be okay eating layer feed? If I decided against getting flock raiser, a little extra calcium won't hurt a roo, would it?

5. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Presumably, a rooster would eat the layer pellets, too? I seem to be on the verge of having two roosters and four hens.

Chris

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:"They" say that over time the calcium in layer feed is bad for the roo and will settle in his kidneys and joints. The question then becomes how long of time compared to how long a rooster actually lives.

I have fed my roosters layer feed in the past with no problems. The typical layer feed only has 3 - 4% calcium in it and everyone needs some calcium; even males.

7. nobodyherebutuschickens

Dec 20, 2010
    Erie, Colorado
    Hmm. Well, then in that case it seems that flock raiser would be the best choice. However, I've tried to give the hens some oyster shell before and they're just not interested in it. I want to do what's best for the roo and the hens! They make it awfully difficult, don't they? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by