Feeding extra treats necessary?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by galen, Apr 22, 2012.

1. galen

galen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Smithville, Missouri
    I keep a feeder in the coop 24/7 for the 10 hens to eat at will. My question is do the hens need extra nutrients? I have heard some people place a Flock Block in the pen with the chickens. Thanks

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    you dont HAVE to but you can ;) If they are not freeranging it cuts down on boredom and such...I do it when I need the bedding tun in coop...Couple of handfuls thrown in coop...walla fun fun fun and turned bedding!

3. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I like to dig up earth worms to throw in the pen every once in a while. I have also used a flock block and they LOVED it!! It's something worth trying. I also feed them stake bread and appropriate scraps along with their usual laying pellets. Buying "treats" can get expensive sometimes depending on where you get them and what you get. Beetles are great if you can catch them. One of my bushes attracts beetles so it's easy for me to get them.

4. hbwbk

hbwbk Out Of The Brooder

My girls are totally spoiled. They get scraps and oatmeal every morning. But now that is getting warmer they will just get there scraps. Veges, bananas, grapes, apples, pears any thing in the house that needs to go by by. They enjoy everything I give them. They are penned most of the time and only free range when some one is home and can watch out for them. lots of critters around who love to have a chicken meal. I also find worms and bugs for them to enjoy as a snack. Awhile ago some one posted make your own seed blocks I have done this and I watched them devour the whole thing in a few days. Some one else said to hollow out a cabbage put a string in it and hang it just high enough so they have to jump up to it. I had so much fun watching them and they ate the whole head in a few days they also got a lot of exercise. keeps them from getting bored they are like little kids.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    2 people like this.
  5. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I give mine black oil sunflower seeds, lettuce and greens. And dried mealworms every day around 5:00 as a treat, plus it's good protein . This is in addition to regular feed. And fresh water twice a day.

1 person likes this.
  6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    If you don't feed anything but the commercial feed, your eggs will taste no different than those from the grocery stores. Here on BYC, you have likely seen many raving about their deep orange yolks, and the improve in flavor. These things come from your hens having a varied diet, rich in greens.

So the answer is no, you don't have to. They will survive just fine on solely what there is at the feed store. But if you want the true flavor of a farm fresh egg, go for it! It doesn't have to be fancy like the Flock Block--your hens will be happy with the veggie scraps from your kitchen. Happy hens and great-tasting eggs; what else would you want?

7. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I think I've created little greens monsters! If my chickens don't have greens daily in the morning they get very loud and upset! It's getting expensive!! They also get dried mealworms at 5pm nightly. They really love them and they're great protein. Since they can't free range I feel they're important.
    But I don't dare run out or they raise a huge fuss!! :)
    Can I give them dandelions ? My yards full of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by