Feeding extra yolks and selling eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aart, Oct 8, 2013.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Maybe kind of a strange situation, I posted here because my main question is about feeding extra yolks back to the chooks.

I have a potential egg customer who eats 3 egg whites and 1 yolk each day for breakfast (to cut calories), she is saving the extra yolks uncooked in the refrigerator for me to feed back to my chooks. I figure I'll cook them up and feed them back...is this a good idea or is 14 cooked yolks a week too much for 1 rooster, 5 hens and 4 pullets too much of a good thing?

I feed a flock raiser with oyster shell offered on the side, my own egg shells rinsed/dried and crumbled back to the chooks. As well as some other kitchen scraps and some scratch. Was thinking of offering mealworms over the winter for animal protein, but maybe the yolks would eliminate that need.

She also asked me if she can get a discount on the price of a dozen eggs, I usually charge 3.50/dz.
    Out of curiosity I measured the white and yolk of an average egg. White weighed 1.15ozs, yolk weighed 0.70ozs.
    So maybe knock a buck off the price of a dozen?

This seems an awful waste of food to me, but it's her 'thing'. Not sure I want to manage handling the yolks tho if I cook them all at once and refrigerate them doling them out a bit each day to the chooks.

Like I said, kind of a strange situation....but wondered if ya'll had any thoughts on the situation?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Extra food isn't going to hurt your birds

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    With ten chickens that is not too many yolks. They’d probably clean up 14 cooked yolks at a time but you can spread it out if you wish. Or try it once and see if they clean them all up and base your decision on what you see. I don’t know how often you’d pick up the yolks from her.

My wife sometimes makes an egg white only omelet to reduce her cholesterol intake. The dogs get the raw yolks.

How you handle pricing is between you and your customer. I have no comments on that.

4. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Just cook them and feed them back to your chickens as you get them. Once a week won't affect their health during the *rest* of the week. And there is no harm in feeding it back to them. I tend to feed UNCOOKED, unfertilized eggs back to my chickens. If the eggs don't develop in the incubator at all, and they aren't "rotten" I merely stir the entire contents of the egg into their feed that day before I take it out to them. They snatch it up VERY quickly! All of the wet food touched by the egg is usually gone before I leave the pen!

5. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Thanks for the feedback...my first flock, so a bit hesitant.

Would egg yolk be considered animal protein?

6. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Yep.

7. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    Yes, the yolks would be considered animal protein, but they contain a lot more fat than protein. Also rich in vitamins A, D, E, and K. I personally would not accept the reduced price, because I would be going out of my way to accommodate her. Yes, I would be getting back the yolks to feed my flock, but if not for the customer, I would not have spent the time cooking for my chickens. I suppose they can be given raw, but I probably wouldn't do that after they'd already been somewhere else and handled by someone else. Whatever works for you, though.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: It's the same protein that's already in your chickens, since that's where the eggs came from

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, she may just give me the yolks even if she doesn't buy eggs from me.

Thanks for the feedback!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by