Feeding fish to my hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by seahoob, May 16, 2011.

1. seahoob

seahoob Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Orangevale CA
    As a marine biologist I send a lot of time fishing and end up with a plethora of leftover fish and scrapes. I was wondering 1) if I can feed fish scrapes (fillets, skin, internal organs) to my hens and 2) cooked or uncooked? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Hi! [​IMG]

You can feed fish both raw and cooked to your chickens. Scraps and fillets are ok - I'd be careful of the bones though. As a marine biologist, I assume you know which fish to avoid feeding to prevent mercury overdoses as well.

Be prepared to experience a fishy taste in your eggs though!

3. Marshchick

Marshchick Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Marshfield, MA
    I've heard giving them cracked oyster and clam shells is a good source of calcium. Does anyone do that? We have an abundance of that around here!

4. sgoff

sgoff Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2011
    Ruston, Louisiana
    I know an old cajun lady that feeds hers crawfish heads and shells from crawfish boils. I thought they would be way to spicy, but she said, nope.. and the eggs will taste amazing... I haven't tried that yet.

5. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    I feed sardines packed in water to the molting hens & to the developing pullets. Little velociraptors! They go nuts for it. Haven't tried it with layers yet. Make sure you adjust for protein with your layers - if they get too much, they will not lay as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by