feeding flock rasier to hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sydney13, Jul 15, 2010.

1. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    is it ok to feed flock raiser to hens that are laying and supply oyster shells? the bag says to feed it up until lay but i keep my goose with my hens so i cant feed layer to them.
    sorry i meant to post this on the feeding section [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, just supply oyster shell on the side. You can feed it to hens/ducks/chicks/turkeys, etc. I started using it when my hens molted to up their protein, it's 20% protein. I also use it when I switch babies off medicated feed until they lay. I'd be using it all the time, but there was a big sale on layer feed at the feed store. Couldn't resist.

3. Retiredtochicks

Retiredtochicks New Egg

Jul 15, 2010
    I started raising chicks in April of this year.Trying to setup for my retirment in the next 11 years. Maybe by then I will be a Pro. [​IMG] I have 6 New Hampshire (2 roos & 4 hens) about 4 months. Then I received 15 white Cornish and 15 various (SL, Patridge, and Columbian) that are 6 weeks today. And they are growing all the time. Now I only have 9 cornish and 3 Columbian, 2 SL and 2 Partridge. Different consequences happened that reduced my flock. But this is a learning experience. Now I have turned my red barn shed into a Barn Chicken Coop. I have the Cornish and different ones in there, while the NH Reds are in a dog kennel outside and cannot be touched. Its nice to go and watch them all especially when I give them treats. I have enjoyed the new adventure.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I made the change to grower/finisher feed (all purpose, or the equivalent of Flock Raiser) for my entire flock, and just provide crushed oyster shell free choice, as new2chooks mentioned.

I keep the oyster shell in an empty tuna can nailed to an inside wall of the coop.

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Sour cream containers work great! ETA: and they can't cut themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2010
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Sour cream containers work great! ETA: and they can't cut themselves.

Oh, but I used the special can opener that takes the whole top off and leaves a non-sharp edge! You can even put the lid back ON again, should you want to do that.... (Can you believe I bought that can opener specifically TO open a tuna can to use when empty, just for the oyster shell?? Now I use it for everything, but... I got it for the chickens!)

But yah, a sour cream or cottage cheese container would hold more, too.... when I start having more layers!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    See all the nifty gadgets you get for your chickens?

I'm on the hunt for an egg scale. Haven't found one I like yet.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    It's the only feed i buy for all my flocks.

9. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    All of my girls, but the babies eat FR here. We have ducks and it just doesn't make sense to buy three different feeds. My girls are actually looking MUCH shinier since switching them to FR. They love it!

10. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] I have used flock raiser since I read layer feed is bad for the roosters liver or something like that. It has more protein and I have a large pig feeder pan with oyster shell in it. under the coop, It lasts for a long time. once in a while I see a hen sitting in it like a dust bath, but no one has left poo init yet. I even gave it to the chicks my hen hatched.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by