Feeding Free Range

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jrsqlc, Aug 29, 2010.

1. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    I have a flock of 9 pekin and jumbo pekin along with 1 cayuga.
    I let them free range from the time i wake up till dark everyday.
    They eat beans from the field, grapes off my vines, EVERY veg. they can get from my garden, and grass of course.
    My question is should I still feed them a layer or any other type of commercial feed?

I have always given them a 16% layer year round along with shelled corn and I would like to try to cut the feed bill some.
    I just dont really see why I should feed them there layer feed when they eat and poop all day long.
    I find it hard to believe that they are not getting enough from the property.
    1 or 2 of them are so fat their bottoms drag the ground, so i know they eat well.

thanks all

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would not eliminate the feed, but cut back on it. One of my ducks got a little bit porky so I cut back on food, she now looks good. They forage all day long too. They get one bowl of feed in the morning and that is usually gone by noon. They also get another bowl at night which is also gone in the morning. I guess the key is to find the balance, and I know they will need more feed in winter.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just wondering - how large an area to they range in?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    By the way, I let mine out in the gardens to forage regularly, and I bring them goodies from the garden, too (slugs, weeds, bugs). They seem to adjust their eating accordingly. So when it's been a big slug day, they don't eat nearly as much boughten feed. They are slender (runners) and their feathers are shiny, they are energetic, and seem quite healthy.

5. jrsqlc

jrsqlc Obsessed with Peafowl

Dec 22, 2009
    Northwest Ohio
    My birds dont matter how much they eat, they will still eat more.
    I harvested over 50 ears of sweet corn this weekend and had plans on it going to the chickens and the ducks managed to open it with there bills and ate every kernnel off every ear!! plus they get tomatos that the bugs got, tons and tons of grapes, watermelon and cantalope, both whole and rines!!
    they have an acre to roam plus the woods next door and the bean fields they make there way into everyday!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by