Feeding Frenzie!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by doubleatraining, Dec 2, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I have been raising small batches of Cornish X and up until this last batch I've had really good luck. I only have 2 left of this last batch and they are VERY active, friendly, love to forage, and aren't nearly as heavy as they should be.

I'm very lucky to know some local breeders that call me when they can't get rid of all of their roosters. They call me and I go pick up anywhere between 5-20 young roosters. I have 15(I think....they move fast) of these guys right now in the "Camp Kenmore" grow out pen. I feed them a grower feed and they get to free range in the evenings.

They are MORE food aggressive than any of my Cornish X have ever been. I have to push them back from the door when I go in to get the feeder. The feeder holds 7lbs and I top it off before it gets empty so they have PLENTY to eat.

Hopefully this means I'll have some nice little porkers come Jan/Feb!!!

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2010
    That looks like quite a variety of ages in that bunch.
    They should keep you fed for a little while.
  3. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    From that angle one looks almost ready for the dinner table...how big is that biggest one over to the left as you look at the pic? And they do sound like a funny little group...they must know you have the "good stuff" come feeding time [​IMG]
  4. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    I got lucky with this group. I got all older chicks. This breeder typically gives me all the sex-linked roosters and they are chicks that need heat/lights UGH.

I'm guessing he is around 4 months but I'm going to let him grow out some more. He is ALL legs. I am in NO way bashing this breeder or judging him but I have a feeling these boys didn't get free choice food before....thats why they gobble now and the larges one isn't very filled out.

If you look closely there is a BSL roo in there and a French Blue Copper Marans rooster. All the extra roosters from my guys that nobody wants to buy go in this pen too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by