1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding fresh fruits and veggies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by teresak, Dec 3, 2013.

1. teresak

teresak New Egg

Jul 5, 2013
    Is it good or bad to feed my hens fresh fruits and veggies every day?

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! x2 on the above advice, good luck to you.

4. teresak

teresak New Egg

Jul 5, 2013
    Thanks for your replies. I have the list of what they are able to eat. Was just wondering how often to feed fresh food. I am in northern MN. THe winters are very long and they are free range hens. I only have four so it is not costly to throw them things they love to replace the hours of time they spend during warm months foraging. I don't want them to get bored and pick on each other. Basically keep them happy so they don't get mean with each other.

5. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That is nice of you to think that way for your feathered family.

I know some people hang cabbages for their chickens to entertain themselves with, or stuff those suet bird feeders with goodies and let them 'work' at it in their own time.

I always had more hens than goodies, so this question never came up for me.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. Shalom Farm

Shalom Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    Florida
    Hello! Welcome!

I spoil my birds. They generally don't get treats until near late afternoon. I throw them fresh fruit/veg year round. Mostly scraps like mango pits, slice of melon, strawberries, squished berries from the cartons, extras of frozen berries, etc. It makes them very happy. Because its usually scraps or even things the store was going to throw away (freezer burn fruit), then I don't mind a little spoiling. I watch how much grain they eat though. If they stop eating enough, I cut back on treats. I've found a good ratio for my flock, but introducing a new bird completely throws it off. So I jsut paly around and make sure each of them get a taste of something everyday.

9. teresak

teresak New Egg

Jul 5, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. Yes, they REALLY love the goodies. They make those super cute noises that translate to "thank you, thank you, thank you!" I have read to give these to them later in the day so they get their nutrients from reg. food through out the earlier part of the day. I have suet in there. They haven't touched it. I tried lettuce hanging in the summer. They weren't interested. However, they probably will be now b/c of no outside time at all. I will try that again. Thanx again! :))

10. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome Glad to have you join us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by