Feeding Fright! Help Me Please!!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Itchen4Chickens, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Itchen4Chickens

Itchen4Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    So I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to chickens, especially when it comes to feeding them! I am getting pullets in a few weeks or so and I just can't decide what to feed them! I've heard of scratch, mash, pellets, and crumble but I am confused as to which are the most nutritious, what their uses are, which are inexpensive, and popular among chickens and their owners. :) I'm hoping that maybe someone on here could clear things up for me :D

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    scratch is a mix grain which should only be fed as a treat. mash, crumbles and pellets are just different sizes of the feed. the smaller the size of feed the faster they usually will go through it since they do not need to work as hard to eat it. the only time I have ever seen pellets is in layer feed. so make sure you are getting the right type of feed for the age of your chickens. if they are 18 weeks and older you will want a layer feed, if they are younger you will want a starter/grower. most cases you can ask the person at the counter at the feed store which product is best and let them know what age your chickens are.

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Pellets or crumble/mash - only difference is the texture. Which you choose is a matter of personal taste. I feed layer pellets normally, reduces feed waste and they eat it just fine. Right now I feed Flock Raiser as I have some young birds in the flock, and it only comes in a crumble.mash - and they eat it just fine.

Scratch is a mix of whole grains that should be fed only in small amounts as a treat, as it is nutritionally unbalanced.

4. Itchen4Chickens

Oct 19, 2013
    Thank you so much! I feel like a dunce for not thinking of just asking the people at the store before! :)

5. Itchen4Chickens

Oct 19, 2013
    Thank you I wasn't sure if the four were nutritionally different or what so thanks for clearing that up! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by