Feeding fruit and veggies/poisonous foods/weeds

newbyduckmom

Songster
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
Snohomish County, WA
I have tried feeding our 4 Khakis and 2 Magpies produce (lettuce, cauliflower, leafy greens, cabbage) and they seem to prefer dandelions and to bypass the produce. Is this common?

Also, does anyone know of a list of foods/weeds that are poisonous to ducks? I know tomato/potato/rhubarb plants are poisonous, and that buttercup is supposedly toxic, but is there a reference for such things. Haven't been able to find such information on searches on the internet. We have butter cup all over our yard where the ducks forage....they seem to stay away from it, but it concerns me.

Just because plants may be listed as toxic to humans does not mean they are not good for ducks. Ducks are smart and they will really fast know what not to eat. I have never heard of a domestic duck dying, due to some toxic plants in the yard. I have some toxic plants and noticed that my ducks will eat some, but avoid most. As a result they have now eradicated some toxic weeds. None of them have been ill at anytime. Their digestive tract is just so much different then ours. So don't worry you and your ducks will be fine. Worry about nails and other metal items they can swallow. Metal poisoning is way more common and not a good thing to deal with.
BTW my ducks found a wasp nest in the ground. They dug it up, ate all the wasps and their offsprings. Not one duck got stung, or if they did they did not show any reactions to it. Again different body and metabolism then ours. So stop to worry and just enjoy your birds.

Back
Top Bottom