Feeding fruit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ThinkingChickens, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I tried to give my chickens some oranges cut in half and halved apples but they weren't interested at all. Should I keep trying or are these things that your chickens don't like either. Mine love lettuces and greens of most kinds. I was looking for other foods to give them.

2. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    mine love melons grapes strawberries ect... but oranges not so much

3. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    My birds ate apples only when they were cut into small chunks, but oranges they usually ate...

4. easteregger96

easteregger96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Greene County
    I don't know how big a selection of fruit chickens like but, I know mine love pears (fresh ones right off the tree). I also give mine just about any veggie too.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've always heard most chickens could care less for any citrus.

Other fruits. . . My boys and girls eat just about any fruit or vegetable. As for apples, they often prefer them whole or just cut in half.

6. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    My chickens will peck at a whole apple until it is gone.They dislike cabbage. I have never tried citrus.

7. GallusGal

GallusGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    My chickens back home generally only ate fruit/veg if it was finely chopped. My new hens, however, are ravenous and will eat just about anything you offer, be it the whole fruit or a tiny piece. I threw half a catenloupe in the coop the other day and it is GONE! My chooks get a fair ammount of fruit/veg because I own a large breeding colony of herbivorous lizards who I mix up a big bucket of fruit and veggies for every other day or so. Whatever they don't eat goes straight in the coop, and the birds LOVE it. Yesterday they got peas, beans, carrots, corn, mango, pineapple, peach, and strawberry, for example. There's not much they won't eat.

8. Altoncoop

Altoncoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    West Virginia
    Mine seem to love grapes

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  10. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010