Feeding geese bread??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by PrinceSandwich, Nov 16, 2009.

1. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm going to be getting a trio of African geese!! YAY! I can't wait!!! Any way....so what I was wondering is, the guy I'm getting them from feeds all his geese ducks, and pretty much everything else, bread and nothing else. Is that healthy? He says he has been raising geese for 40 years and never had a problem with it. Whats your thought? Should i still buy the geese from him?

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

A bread only diet is not good for anything. Maybe they freerange most of the time?

3. slightlyscrambled

slightlyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Nebraska
    ours freerange most of the day. My DD gives them bread as a treat once a day, I give them scratch and layer pelllets or game bird feed at night.

4. TedsFarms

TedsFarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    I freerange, have it mixed with cracked bird feed and breads. More of a suplemental add to the diet is how I mix it. ie treats

5. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:When I saw them they were all in a pen (but they did have a way to get out into the yard) but when he breeds them he puts the pairs and trios in grass pens.

6. ilroost

ilroost Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    weldon il.
    I use bread only as a treat,they should be feed flockraiser or gamebird feed

7. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Bread is more like candy, so it shouldn't be their exclusive diet.

It builds fat around their internal organs, therefore making them slow and easy for predators to catch, or just making them morbidly obese.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by