Feeding Geese hay?

Frogdogtimestwo

Songster
13 Years
May 21, 2008
I live in a grass sparse area, I was wondering when my goslings are old enough if I can throw a flake of alfalfa in the pen with them or would that be too much protein? If not would Bermuda work (not as moist and tasty so I am not sure they would eat) What would be a good age to do this if it is fine to do? Thanks in advance!

I tried that last winter and I also tried the little hay cubes you feed cattle - I soaked the cubes to soften them up...they didn't go for either gormet offering -
smile.png
! You can try it and see if yours like it any better than mine did.

I use alfalfa for bedding. They do nibble a little but not enough for me to think of it as food for them. Alot of grass pasture is just as high in protein as dry baled alfalfa. I had geese before where there is no grass. They did fine with just duck food and what ever scrap greens I had on hand. I didn't go out and buy anything special.

The dry fibrous strands of hay could ball up and cause an obstruction in their bellies, not that they'll eat much of it anyway. I gave mine a few flakes of alfalfa over the winter and they seemed to enjoy it some, but most of it went to waste. I tried to grind alfalfa pellets and sprinkle it dry on their feed, and I think they ate some in spite of themselves. They detested alfalfa pellets wetted down and soft. Where I live there's grass all year round, though it's not particularly fresh or tasty for a few months. Mine mostly subsisted on scratch grains, bits of grass and roots and on sale greens from the store.

I think what I will do is get a fridge for the garage because Costco has such cheap lettuce greens in huge bags but I never have the room for them in our house fridge. That may be my best solution. Thanks for the answers!

I freeze excess garden output for my ducks. They love shredded zucchini. In the winter I take a bag and put it in some warm water to thaw. Great breakfast on a cold day. I also take the slightly "off" stuff and bag that too. Bok choy leaves that have slug or hail damage, kale thinings, radish tops, etc... and bag that up. I have to write DUCK FOOD in big letters on the bag so hubby doesn't grab it by accident
big_smile.png

Would geese eat stuff like that too?

Quote:
I am not sure this is my first time raising geese and I think I am being a "mother hen" about getting it right. I feel a little guilty that they do not have lush grass to eat so I am trying to come up with an alternative from everyone who has geese!
They love the spinach I have been giving them.

Quote:
I am not sure this is my first time raising geese and I think I am being a "mother hen" about getting it right. I feel a little guilty that they do not have lush grass to eat so I am trying to come up with an alternative from everyone who has geese!
They love the spinach I have been giving them.

Go easy on spinach, people on this post have told me that it causes calcium dificiency in geese.... stick with other greens.jennifer

Back
Top Bottom