Feeding Goats???

KadeSilkies21

Chirping
Jul 13, 2017
We have almost finished building our new goat shed/shelter and paddock. We are planning on getting about 3 10 week-old goats. I have researched plenty but nowhere seems to properly explain what and how i need to feed them. My question is what do i need to feed them, how and when etc. Any other feeding related info would be helpful. Thanks!

My goats eat about 1/2 cup of sweet feed each in the morning and evening and LOTS of hay and forage through the day and they've been happy and healthy. The shouldn't have to much feed. They're main diet should be hay and forage. I'm sure feed level should be adjusted to size. Mine range from 120-140 lbs each. I hope you enjoy your goat adventure. It's a definite adventure but a great one. I'm crazy about my goats!!

What you feed can depend on your type or breed of goat and your goals. I raise dairy goats so I need to provide lots of calcium and protein that they can turn into milk. If you raise a meat breed you might provide a different mix.

But basically you should feed hay, and depending on what you can get, go from there. Personally I feed my goats a nice quality alfalfa/grass/weed mix hay that I can get locally, then alfalfa pellets, then rolled oats and a little BOSS. (Black oil sunflower seed.) Those are in order of how much, starting with what makes up the most to what makes up the least of the feed.

Are the kids going to be weaned? If they are not, you may need to give them milk for a while. Technically you can wean as soon as they start chewing their cud, but I don't wean mine until they are about 4 months old and some even 6 months. I guess everybody is different, so check if that is a concern.

One mistaken idea that people have is that goats are grazers... in reality they are browsers, like deer, and if they can stand on their hind legs while eating a tree branch that's what they prefer to do. They will walk right past beautiful grass in order to eat roses or trees or bushes. Oh sure - they will eat grass if that's all there is, but goats love to eat a variety. If they can get your roses or trees, they will do that.

Forgot some people raise for meat. Mine are for dairy. Your right though. Mine usually eat brush and trees before the grass. But the fact they eat anything including our plants can by something to keep an eye on. Many people think goats can eat anything NOT true. There are plants that can make them sick. Found that out when 2 of mine got azalea poisoning (still with me). There are many lists online

Back
Top Bottom