feeding goslings

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Dwen, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    I have a question about buying feed for Goslings. So far, what I know is that Chick starter is usually too low on niacin for waterfowl, but gamebird starter has too high a protein level. I've read that it is best to mix turkey/gamebird starter half & half, but our local TSC doesn't carry them. What they have is purina flock raiser (one feed fits all type of deal) and Dumor chick starter.
    I want to know whether anyone has had any experience with either of these feeds, and how they worked. I didn't look real closely at the Purina flock raiser, but the Dumor chick starter, supposedly formatted for chicks, ducklings, goslings, etc, had 20% protein though I'm not sure about niacin. What I need to know is if this would be a healthy choice for goslings, and what I might need to suppliment it with.

Thank you,
    -Dwen

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have read that the Dumor starter is formulated to be appropriate for waterfowl and does have Niacin but i don't know if every water fowl owner would agree that it has enough. I actually think it might be easier to stick with the Dumor and supplement the Niacin by adding Nutritional yeast or non time released niacin supplement from the pharmacy. I used the Dumor in combination with water fowl starter (Mazuri) that I special ordered from a pet store.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I see so many buying from TSC, they are very high priced (IMO) is there is a feed store in your area? I much rather. Uh from a local feed store than over pay a chain any day.

Nutrena and Purina both make starters that are OK. Many use them and have good luck with them. You can cut the protein by adding rolled oats.

We feed Mazuri here. If you don't have a local feed store who is a purina dealer (they can order in Mazuri) then you can order direct online.

Most importantly is watch your birds and make sure they look good feather wise, eyes and when walking.

4. Dwen

Dwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Concord, NC
    We do have a local feed store, though I haven't had an excuse to go there in a while (we were buying chicken food at TSC yesterday). I think they offer a general flock raiser which might be Purina.The manager was helping me find gamebird breeder feed for my ducks a couple of months ago and mentioned ordering feed in, so they will probably be willing to help.

Also, what exactly should I be looking for in the feathers and eyes? I've read to check for swollen joints, but haven't heard about eyes or feathers.

Thanks!

5. jtallant

jtallant Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    OK
    I fed mine gamebird starter for 3 or 4 weeks (Dumor) and then the Purina Flock Raiser and now they are 8 weeks so they eat mostly grass but still some of the flock raiser.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by