Feeding Goslings

Steven Seitz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
I have hatched a few geese and I am having some trouble teaching or showing them how to eat. I know that they do not eat right after they hatch for a few days, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can get them to eat their starter?

I have hatched a few geese and I am having some trouble teaching or showing them how to eat. I know that they do not eat right after they hatch for a few days, but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how I can get them to eat their starter?
Hi Steven. forget the starter for a bit, give them some grass. go and cut some nice juicy-looking grass into small pieces, or even cut a turf of short grass and put it in for them. Also lettuce in tiny pieces they like. Grass is better for them, though.

Last edited:
I have noticed that ducks and geese like their food wet, very wet. They strain it out with the little "teeth" just inside the edge of their beaks. Ducks poke around for worms and bugs in any natural mud areas and strain them out of the slurry. And yes, grass grass and more grass for the geese. Why don't the hatcheries send a note to feed them grass?!

When they are just a day or so old I chop lettuce very small, chop fresh grass and dandelion greens also. The starter I put in the small chicken feeders with the lids off for the first few days until they get the hang of it. hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom