Feeding grapes to your chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by allquackedup, Jan 26, 2010.

1. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Is it safe for chickens and ducks to eat grapes?

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Mine love grapes, but they love them so much that they WILL swallow them whole in a feeding frenzy, or to keep the others from getting them, so they can be a choking hazard.

I always cut my grapes up, as I do have a piggy hen named Lily that actually did choke and would have actually choked to death on it had I not been there to smack her and get it down. That is why I always cut mine, cuz of my silly Lily. Before that, never realized a bird COULD choke.

3. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    Grapes are also one my girls favorites and I too cut them in half.

4. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    Yup! I cut mine as well. I also cut grape tomatoes up ... just seems yummier that way!
    [​IMG]

5. edselpdx

edselpdx Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Portland, OR
    My ladies' fave treat. I don't cut, but there's a grapevine that drops ripe grapes into the yard all fall, so they seem to know to pierce them before swallowing.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    My Dellies love them - I have only tried green seedless grapes and I quarter them, as mine are only 12 weeks old.

7. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i take the red grapes off my FIL's vine so they wouldn't attract rats, the only thing i can poss think is that if the grapes are on the vine too long they can ferment, so you could end up with a drunk flock!

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    A relative gave me a big bucket of small grapes last summer. The chickens acted like it was the greatest treat they ever had. The grapes were very small and so I did not cut them in half.

9. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Feeding grapes is hysterical! (One at a time) There is nothing like a game of "chicken grape rugby". Puts the kids in stitches every time.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I used to cut grapes up before feeding them to the chickens, then I saw a few of them swallow whole figs and stopped cutting up the grapes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by