Feeding grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by luvmybirdz, Sep 28, 2011.

1. luvmybirdz

luvmybirdz Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2011
    I'm new to chicken keeping. I got 2 roosters at the fair (about 5 months old) I haven't yet given them any grit and plan to in the next day or so. What would tell me they were having any issues from me not having given them any grit since I've had them? I just want to be sure I've not harmed them at all. I have stopped giving them any extra treats until they have their grit. Also, is feeding scratch grain necessary, outside of their ususal feed? Just trying to figure all this out. Thanks!

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    If they have access to the ground, they probably don't need any grit

Scratch is just a cheap feed, and isn't "needed" at all

Just trying to figure all this out

It doesn't have to be complicated
    People have raised chickens for thousands of years without doing more them feeding them, and giving them a safe, dry place to sleep​

3. luvmybirdz

Sep 11, 2011
    Thanks [​IMG] So many ppl do so many diff. things. I am learning LOTS on here. I didn't think scratch grain was really necessary. All I give them so far is their crumble. Lately, I've been learning the diff things they can have as treats. With my cooking they've gotten some squash shells to pick off of, a couple small pieces of canteloup from the garden and some other veggies. I didn't realize the importance of the grit. I have only started letting them roam a bit the last 2 days and they are loving all the grass and bugs. They seem to have sort of runny poo. I wondered if this was from me feeding them the other foods and not the grit.

4. sjmarshall87

sjmarshall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Carthage
    Honestly, make sure they have clean water and a place to sleep.. they pretty much take care of the rest if your free ranging them.. Mine get a little chicken feed once a day but the rest of the day they free range.. Mine are plump and happy [​IMG]

5. luvmybirdz

Sep 11, 2011
    They get pleanty of fresh water and a safe temp house. Hubby is getting their coop finished this weekend. Can't wait for it to be done!!! They and the ducks are sharing space right now and it's just not suited as well to them. They do love roaming the yard. Thanks for the input!

6. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    mine free range and seem to eat dirt and sand that we have in the yard. I have offered them grit, but they don't seem interested. in the winter when snow covers the ground, I'll start to offer them grit again and see if they will use more of it. We'll offer them an area to dirt bathe in during the winter in their covered run, so perhaps they'll eat that and ignore the grit??? we'll see!

7. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I leave my chickens out till I have to go on an errand so mine get plenty of time on their own. But I have this little pile of pea gravel they have just lately started pecking in and seem to be eating some of it. Why are they doing that? I mixed some grit you buy in with it so they would have something a little smaller than pea gravel.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  8. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    I always assume that animals know what they need. . .so perhaps they will do ok with the larger size gravel. But, then I've had a few pets who have proved me wrong. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by