Feeding Grit

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Catfish267, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Catfish267

Catfish267 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    I Don't Remember
    Do you guys buy grit that's made just for chickens? I was thinking about going to lowes and buying a bag of pebbles/sand stuff. They are like the size of a BB. How bigs is the grit you feed your chickens? There's no way I'm paying ten bucks for a bag of rocks!

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I get chipped granite, its not round. Its probably the size of a pencil eraser, give or take. I also use it on the walks when its icy, as salt is bad for the chickens. I get a 2 for 1. I get it in the livestock isle also may be in automotive. It really lasts a long time. As they free range in the warm months, It is not needed then, only winter.

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I just let them find their own when the free range.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I also do not supplement grit for my chickens as they have a run for when I am at work and they free range after. They go out and find their own grit and for the 9 years I have had chickens I have never had an issue with it.

5. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Where I live (NH) they definitely need it supplemented in winter, as they don't have a lot of options to find their own in the winter under the snow. I go through about 5 lbs (costs $5 at feed store) in about 6 weeks with 8 chickens.

I still offer it in warmer weather, but they mostly find their own when free ranging.

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I buy the size #3 Cherrystone grit for about $10 a bag but it lasts a really long time. I saw one study that showed that chickens can keep grit in the gizzard for up to a year sometimes. So I just sprinkle it on the feed now and then or toss it around in the run and they eat it up.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I bought a 10lb bag (I think, may have been more) about a year ago. They really don't need much, it lasts a long while in the gizzard. I don't keep grit out all the time, I toss a few handfuls out maybe once a month, maybe more or less. I do know my birds didn't get any grit for at least 3 months this summer when I was first diagnosed with leukemia and in the hospital. No one died, they continued to flood us with eggs so it must have been alright. Still have probably 2/3 of that bag. It's a local brand crushed granite for chickens, pretty fine crush. Smaller than peppercorns by quite a bit.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by