Feeding growers and layers when they're together

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by CherylD1, Aug 13, 2013.

1. CherylD1

CherylD1 New Egg

May 19, 2013
    Hello, all,

I'm going to integrate my flock in the next couple of days, and I have a question about the logistics of feeding. I have girls that are almost 12 weeks old, and I'm going to put them in the coop with my two layers. I plan to put out the pellets I've been feeding my young girls, so they don't eat the laying feed. However, I'm not sure how to feed my layers oyster shell/egg shells. How do I provide that for them while ensuring the young girls don't eat the shells? I'm assuming the shells are hazardous for them since that's source of calcium.

I've lost three hens in three weeks to predators, so I'm trying everything in my power to keep the rest of my flock healthy and alive!

Thanks for any assistance!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Just put the oyster shells in another container. The youngsters will peck at it some but won't overingest. You could keep the layers on grower with oyster shells on the side indefinitely.

3. CherylD1

CherylD1 New Egg

May 19, 2013
    Thanks! I hope my two layers will figure out that they need the calcium and eat the oyster shells.

4. Fat Man

Fat Man Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    They figure it out. They'll peck anything at least once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by