feeding guineas 24%... can growing chickens eat it too?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by georgia531, Jul 8, 2011.

1. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Hello.. sorry if this has been covered alot.. i have 8- 7week old guineas..I am feeding them Dumor 24% crumbles... i also have 12-13 week old barred rocks and white leghorns... is this high protein food ok to feed them? I also have medicated chick start.. which would be better to feed the older chickens?? also have layer mash... i hate buying a 4th 50lb bag of poultry/finisher.. can they eat the 24%? thank you in advance...

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Yes the chicks can eat the 24%, but I think dumor also makes a 20% starter/grower and your keets are ready for the transition... so finish up what you have and if you'd like to ween them all over to that you can (I think it's a little cheaper too). The keets can eat the layer mash once they reach 12 weeks old, as their staple/main diet.

Sounds like everybody is pretty much past the scary coccidiosis window, so IMO, using the medicated feed really won't do anybody any good... Can ya save it for your next batch of chicks maybe?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You've asked questions that there can be a difference of opinion on.

The medicated Starter will not hurt the older chickens. I don't know if it is OK for guineas or not. It should say on the bag. I personally would not feed medicated feed to laying hens, but there is even controversy and a difference of opinion on that. Some people do. But if they are not laying, it definitely will not harm the chickens.

Some people feed protein as high as 24% to chicks that age. They don't need protein that high. I've seen where feeding 30% protein feed to grown chickens can cause problems, but yours are not grown. Yours are still growing. The normal recommendations are to feed a lower protein feed at that age, since they don't need to grow that fast. If you free range them where they forage for a fair portion of their own food, I would not hesitate to feed them the 24% feed. If the feed is most of what they eat, I'd probably not do it myself. But there are people that do.

Not much help, I know. I go by too much of a good thing is usually not a good thing, so I personally try to not overfeed them. But that is just me.

I would not feed the Layer yet. That is probably the only thing I am certain of. The extra calcium in Layer can damage growing chicks. It does not always harm them, but it can.

Good luck!

4. georgia531

georgia531 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    SW PA/OH
    Thank you both.. .. i do have little chicks that can eat the medicated starter.. (not keets). i will look at my options and lower the guineas a little and supplement their protein.. I wont feed the mash any more, I have been giving them some here and there... thanks again..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by