1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Feeding Guineas and Chicks Together

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by GallopingGoat, Jun 1, 2010.

1. GallopingGoat

GallopingGoat In the Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Vermont
    I've just read that a higher protein starter is best for keets, but as I have my keets and chicks together, which would be best for both - chick starter or game starter?

Also, do keets need grit, as well?

Thanks

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I feed my keets the chick starter....does well for me....You can offer sand for them as they are young.

3. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I feed both the keets and chicks game bird starter.

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

And I feed my keets half chick starter and half game bird starter. I just thought the pebbles in the game bird starter looked so BIG. I am not giving them grit right now as they are not eating anything else besides their food (though I will in a few more weeks) So now you have one of each answer. [​IMG]

5. racuda

racuda Songster

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Finn's Mom :

And I feed my keets half chick starter and half game bird starter. I just thought the pebbles in the game bird starter looked so BIG. I am not giving them grit right now as they are not eating anything else besides their food (though I will in a few more weeks) So now you have one of each answer. [​IMG]

Thats weird. My game bird starter is a smaller crumble than chick starter. [​IMG]

6. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Songster

Quote:Thats weird. My game bird starter is a smaller crumble than chick starter. [​IMG]

Really! That makes sense, actually. I'd only bought the one ridiculous 50lb bag of game bird starter for my 6 ounces of keets because that was my only option here. When I opened it I just thought it was weird to give them this big stuff since these birds are so small so I gave them my organic chick starter and added in game bird as the ratio of bird to food increased. Maybe I got a mislabeled bag? They are doing great, but I guess I am glad I opted for the chick food. Thanks for the heads up racuda.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: