Feeding Guineas and Chicks Together

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by GallopingGoat, Jun 1, 2010.

1. GallopingGoat

GallopingGoat Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Vermont
    I've just read that a higher protein starter is best for keets, but as I have my keets and chicks together, which would be best for both - chick starter or game starter?

Also, do keets need grit, as well?

Thanks

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I feed my keets the chick starter....does well for me....You can offer sand for them as they are young.

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    I feed both the keets and chicks game bird starter.

4. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

And I feed my keets half chick starter and half game bird starter. I just thought the pebbles in the game bird starter looked so BIG. I am not giving them grit right now as they are not eating anything else besides their food (though I will in a few more weeks) So now you have one of each answer. [​IMG]

5. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Finn's Mom :

And I feed my keets half chick starter and half game bird starter. I just thought the pebbles in the game bird starter looked so BIG. I am not giving them grit right now as they are not eating anything else besides their food (though I will in a few more weeks) So now you have one of each answer. [​IMG]

Thats weird. My game bird starter is a smaller crumble than chick starter. [​IMG]

6. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thats weird. My game bird starter is a smaller crumble than chick starter. [​IMG]

Really! That makes sense, actually. I'd only bought the one ridiculous 50lb bag of game bird starter for my 6 ounces of keets because that was my only option here. When I opened it I just thought it was weird to give them this big stuff since these birds are so small so I gave them my organic chick starter and added in game bird as the ratio of bird to food increased. Maybe I got a mislabeled bag? They are doing great, but I guess I am glad I opted for the chick food. Thanks for the heads up racuda.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by