Feeding Hen w/ Chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, May 27, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hi guys, this time next week my little TBD (we never figured out a name for her, so were calling her TBD in the interim and it stuck) will hopefully be a mom to a new set of chicks! (fingers crossed, knock on wood)

I'm a little confused about what to feed the mama hen and her babies. I picked up a back of Southern States Super Breeder feed, which has 21% protein and is non-medicated. Will this work for everyone and then put out extra oyster shell for mama?

I have concerns both over feeding non-medicated feed to chicks (Coccidia) and on the flip side, my hen eating medicated starter.

What are your o' so wise recommendations?

Thanks!

2. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Your hen will be OK eating starter for the few weeks it takes to rear her chicks and get sick of them.

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Thanks Alice, by the way, what's your address? I've got broody hens all over the place, would be happy to send a few your way! [​IMG]

4. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Take an upside down laundry basket that has a small hole in it and set it over the chick starter and a waterer. Or use some wire to section off a corner of the coop, or even a cardboard box with some wire over the top. You want to make a hole small enough for chicks to get in and out. It will reduce competition between the little ones and the rest of your flock. At some point everyone will get a bite or two of the wrong food and it will be o'kay. Mom will move the chicks around with the rest of the flock sooner than you will believe and they will get a few bites of layer, some bugs, and some stuff off the ground and it will be good.
    My experience says that mom and chicks will have a easier time moving back into the flock if they do it fast.

Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by