• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hens rule

Songster
9 Years
Jan 28, 2015
US
Hi! It snowed here and was pretty cold out so I gave my hens some straw to cover the muddy/icy ground and for them to have something to play with while there stuck in the coop all day. I found some old alfalfa or timathy hay(I'm not sure) ...that was for my Guinea pig (the hays probably about 2 years old) and I spread in the run with the straw for my hens to play with and dig in. They seem to be more interested in the straw seeds than the hay but I know they will get to the hay sooner or later. Has hay ever caused a problem for your hens? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I don't know the answer, but I also have some timothy hay leftover from our guinea pig, and had the same question.

I give my hens some mixed grass/alfalfa hay every couple of days. Both to get them off the ice and snow and to give them something to pick through looking for treasures. It's never been a problem.

Last edited:
I too put down hay during the winter, in the coops and outside anywhere they might stand, they get some good greenery during the winter and have something to stand on instead of snow and ice. I go through quite a few bales just on my poultry. Ours is a mix of different grasses, clover and whatever.

I also put hay down where the ground is muddy. They seem to like to scratch around in it and it helps keep their feet off the cold wet ground. Hay here in Texas has gotten very expensive. We paid $7.50 for a bale. TSC wanted $10 for a bale. I can remember when I paid $4 for a bale and it wasn't that long ago.

We make our own, but to buy it is around 2-4 dollars a bale, depending on whether you're being taken advantage of.

I'm a newbe and finding my way slowly with trial and error. We had a rain storm and my run was a bit muddy I put out some wheat straw and all 12 of my hens went to town on the grass. They seem fine.

Back
Top Bottom