Feeding hens and roosters together

HamletAndEggs

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2019
Hi! I am 17 weeks into raising my first backyard flock. Starting with 12 day-old chicks I did end up with one roo... my Lavender Orpington, Hamlet. I’ve just switched them over to layer food but have read that he should eat food of a different nutrient mix. They are all in the same coop/run. Can he safely eat the girls food?

Attachments

• FBC60BBF-B899-458F-B8F8-39F2F876191D.jpeg
    FBC60BBF-B899-458F-B8F8-39F2F876191D.jpeg
    660.8 KB · Views: 5

cavemanrich

Addict
7 Years
Apr 6, 2014
Melrose Park Illinois
He can,,,,,, but long term,,, he would be getting too much calcium in his diet. Ideal for non laying chickens is 2%calcium.
Layer is about 4% calcium. It is challenging to feed one bird separately, and with different feed, but not impossible.
Your other option, and one taken by many, including myself is this;
I feed all my chickens (I have only hens) a 2% calcium Alflock feed. My hens vary in age, and some are not laying regularly anymore. I offer Cracked Oyster Shells free-choice. The laying hens supplement their calcium needs by choosing to snack on the oyster shell at will. My chickens also get some of their calcium needs in the green grass/weeds they consume while free-ranging in my backyard lawn.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

HamletAndEggs

In the Brooder
Jun 27, 2019
He can,,,,,, but long term,,, he would be getting too much calcium in his diet. Ideal for non laying chickens is 2%calcium.
Layer is about 4% calcium. It is challenging to feed one bird separately, and with different feed, but not impossible.
Your other option, and one taken by many, including myself is this;
I feed all my chickens (I have only hens) a 2% calcium Alflock feed. My hens vary in age, and some are not laying regularly anymore. I offer Cracked Oyster Shells free-choice. The laying hens supplement their calcium needs by choosing to snack on the oyster shell at will. My chickens also get some of their calcium needs in the green grass/weeds they consume while free-ranging in my backyard lawn.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! I really appreciate the BYC community as I try to learn how to raise my little flock as responsibly as I can!

Top Bottom