Feeding hens and roosters together

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ecollins7, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ecollins7

ecollins7 Just Hatched

Apr 29, 2014
    Is it ok for me to feed my roosters layer feed? I am new at this and my hens are turning 18 weeks old this weekend. I am keeping my roosters with my hens but I would like my hens to have the layer feed. I'm not sure if the layer feed is ok for my roosters to have as well. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

2. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Welcome to BYC!

3. madicakes

madicakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Curious about this as well.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    What you feed depends on what you want for your chickens. The higher calcium in layer can hurt the kidneys of non laying birds. If you want the absolute best for the rooster then don't feed layer and stay on a grower or go to another feed for the flock with a calcium supplement on the side for the hens. If you also feed other foods, then the extra calcium in the layer would be diluted and the effect of the extra calcium may never be a problem. I go back and forth between feeds depending on if there are young ones with the flock. They also are out in their pasture and get other food. With that I don't worry much if the roosters are getting to much calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by