Feeding hens watermelon

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Boley57, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Boley57

Boley57 New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    HI - I have kept hens for nearly 10 years - almost 8 weeks ago my little boys gave the hens a watermelon half - within 4 hours 3 hens were dead! We didnt give them anything fruit based since. This am my husband mistakenly gave the hens a half a melon, including the skin - within 2 hours I have found a dead beautiful French Copper Black hen - I have noticed that you list watermelon as a suitable treat for the hens - WHY IS THIS KILLING MY HENS and should we all stop feeding them watermelon - panicing!

BonDEEroo likes this.
  2. liontamer

liontamer New Egg

Apr 20, 2012
    Blimey, I have 9 bantams and have been keeping them for 14 months now. I too feed them the occasional slice of melon. I lost my rusty about 5 weeks ago and now wonder if this was why as she showed no sign of illness and was dead in the coop in the morning. Rusty was a year old wellsummer hen

BonDEEroo likes this.
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I doubt it had anything to do with the watermelon. Mine just ate half a watermelon last night.. Nothing like this happened...

There has to be another explanation..

I'm very sorry for your loss.. Losing that many at once is incomprehensible to me.

BonDEEroo likes this.
  4. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I am so sorry for your loss. I feed mine watermelon on the hottest days of the summer usually freeze it for them... they love it....I have never had any of mine die......did they get into something toxic??? Maybe you have a moldy batch of chicken feed? Was the watermelon moldy... as mold can be leathal

BonDEEroo likes this.
  5. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    That's really strange. I give my hens watermelon all the time. In fact, they had a half a melon this morning. I have never seen them react strangely to it.

BonDEEroo likes this.
  6. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    hmm very strange that, i have never had watermelon issues before with my animals

me,.. now thats another story but defo nothing with my animals

BonDEEroo likes this.
  7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Sounds like someone poisioned them. I would take one to a vet & do an autopsy on them. Watermelon won't kill your chickens.

BonDEEroo likes this.
  8. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

No...been giving watermelon for years upon years without a single ill effect on the chickens. Even when they eat the rind down to nothing.

BonDEEroo likes this.
  9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Even when the watermelon is left there and started to go really RIPE, and mine ate it anyway, no problems. No dead birds. In fact there's half a watermelon out there right now that they ate part of yesterday and picked on some more this morning. All doing well.

BonDEEroo likes this.
  10. Funnily enough one of my chooks is poorly and I gave them some watermelon to eat just before she showed signs of being really ill.

BonDEEroo likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by