Feeding hens when only one is laying?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by SpotJL, Jan 5, 2013.

1. SpotJL

SpotJL Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    We have four hens (2 Easter Eggers, 2 Buff Orpingtons) they will be 6 months old the middle of this month (Jan 2013). We are in Southern California. One of the Easter Eggers layed her first egg yesterday.

How do we feed them? Do we need to try feed the laying hen layer feed separate from the others, or can we feed all of them layer feed since they might be close to laying?

Any suggestions?

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    You can feed them all layer feed as they are so close to laying.

3. marvun22

marvun22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    North Dakota
    hillbilly hen is correct i have 15 hens and 1 rooster and about half my hens are laying and my rooster likes layer feed better than any of the hens + my younger hens all eat it to. it helps the layers and doesn't hurt the non-layers.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Just by way of an alternative, many folks never feed Layer at all. They simply feed the entire flock an All Flock or Flock Raiser type feed and offer a calcium source on the side. Easy as pie.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You don't need to feed a layer feed, you can feed them a starter, starter/grower, or a all flock and then just supplement with Oyster Shells.
    Your non-laying birds and your rooster don't need the high amount of calcium that is in a layer feed so you would be better off feeding one of the above listed feed rather than a layer feed.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  6. SpotJL

SpotJL Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks for replies. Also found this PDF file on how to feed your laying and breeding hens:

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/x...d=E8CCD6FC591A307D8CE46392F30164DF?sequence=1

We have about 35 lbs of organic non layer feed so it would make sense to use a calcium supplement before switching to layer feed.

Any suggestions on how supply the calcium supplement to the birds. On the oyster shell what form those it come in?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I fed mine free choice oyster shell in a rabbit feeder that I hung on the wall of the coop. The oyster shell is ground up almost like small pebbles and I would get it at the Family Farm and Home or Tractor Supply. It is cheaper to get it in the bigger bags.
    I did end up feeding my birds an all flock type of feed since I had several younger chicks being raised by broody mamas. It is a lot easier to do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by