1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding I need your opinion

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jerryf, Sep 15, 2012.

1. jerryf

jerryf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2007
    Fergus Falls, MN
    I live in town so my layer flock is confined. I was feeding a layer mash and some left over pigeon 16% whole grains millet and Maple peas. My 6 Buff Orpington pullets started laying 5 eggs a day sometime 6. They also give leafy alfalfa, pulled green quack grass, grit and oyster shells

A week ago I added a bit of dry cat food and BOSS in the morning......so they have been laying for 4 months Now I get only 2- 3-4 eggs a day one day I got one!
    Should I cut out the cat food, BOSS and go back to just layer mash, alfalfa, grit and oyster shells?
    Hey I have had chickens for 50 years they always laid better than this.......could the poor laying ability be that they are from a breeder and not production type Buff Orps from a hatchery?

A part of me wants to get some Black sex links.....I had some a few years ago, very tame, quiet and very laid well.

Jerry

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I think it is more the cat food. There is much for fats in cat food than chicken feed. They have a hard time processing the fats. That is what I have read anyway. Try going back to chicken feed and see if that corrects laying.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I agree that stopping the cat food would be a good move. Nothing in cat food that would otherwise be in the chickens natural food.

Chris

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    hmmm - I have read several times here that cat food is a good addition to feed, as it is quite high in protien and can help birds over a molt

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I would look for a hidden nest, that is what has happened if mine drop suddenly.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Yes, upping protein to help with molt is good, but feeding cat food all the time, I don't know about that. They are chickens, not cats. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by