Feeding in Winter

Discussion in 'Geese' started by GracieNut, Oct 20, 2011.

1. GracieNut

GracieNut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    Spotsylvania
    Hello all! I'm wondering what everyone feeds their geese in winter? This will be my first winter with geese, I got them this past spring. Right now during the day they are on grass, and at night when they get locked up they have Purina Flock Raiser. When winter comes, we will no longer have grass (it's already starting to die back now), so I'm wondering what can I add to their Flock Raiser to make up for it? Whole oats? Alfalfa pellets? (like rabbit food?) I would love to know what everyone else does.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    My geese won't eat alfalfa pellets. In the winter they get their poultry grain and whatever veggie scraps come from the kitchen. Normally, they'd get a lot of apples all fall and early winter, but I've had a crop failure this year.

You might try grass hay, and if they don't like it dry, soak it for a little while before you give it to them.

I'll be sprouting oats for mine this winter, but that will be a treat and not the bulk of their diet. They actually can live on the poultry pellets, in spite of what they tell you.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Now that is handy. Miss Lydia saved me a lot of typing. [​IMG]

Now... I wonder if I can get her to come over and save me a lot of dish washing and laundry folding? [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. This question was exactly my question for the winter -- our grass doesn't die back but it does grow a lot more slowly . . . I've got lots of areas to rotate the geese through but thought I'd supplement with something. I'll try the hay - if nothing else, they can sleep in it : )

Thanks so much for posting the thread!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by