Feeding/Integrating chicks and adults

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by serendipityfarm, May 23, 2010.

1. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    OK, so let me see if I'm understanding what I've gotten from browsing around here...
    I have 4 chicks (1 Buff Orp, 1 Lt. Brahma, 2 Cochin), 2 adult Silkies (1 just started laying), and 2 adult Sex-link laying machines [​IMG]

I am hoping to integrate them when the chicks get a little bigger (they are 8 weeks now)
    Everybody has met through a pen, and though the older ladies have been somewhat aggressive towards them, they have stopped attacking the Silkies when they are all loose in the yard with plenty of room. I figure they will all work it out and expect the chicks will be at least as big as the layers eventually so theyll be able to fend for themselves. Don't misunderstand, I monitor them closely, always ready to step in if things get ugly.
    [​IMG]
    OK, so as to feeding.
    I feed Layer pellets to the adults and Chick starter to the chicks.
    If I switch everybody to Flock raiser and offer Oyster shells to the adults, everybody can eat the same?
    Of course I just bought a bag of Layer pellets, duh! I wasn't thinking. I'm keeping them separated for a while longer, but don't think I will go through a WHOLE 50lb by then.

My husband is almost finished the coop & run so I was thinking about putting the chicks & Silkies together first, since they are roughly the same size, then adding the grouchies a little later. They are used to running not only our yard but also our neighbors on both sides, so I worry that confining them is going to make them crabby. But unfortunately one neighbor just planted his sumer veggie garden (unfenced, of course) and am afraid the ladies are soon going to make themselves unwelcome. [​IMG]

What do y'all think?

Any suggestions as to making life in the run more tolerable for them? I figure once "veggie season" is over I can let them out again. FYI the coop is 8X8, and the run is approx. 25X25.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your help! You guys alway shave great info & ideas!
    ~Terry

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Great set up you have there. Your plan sounds good. Go with it. I can tell you have done your homework. Things will work out. By the way, Where are you? Looks like the south.

3. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Nope. Im in CT.
    And unfortunately, I lost one of my Silkies, so the plan was forced to happen sooner than planned. Worked out pretty well, now the trick will be putting the adults in with them!
    Chickens are so much fun!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by