Feeding juiced fruit and vege pulp & mash (hops)

ValerieKS

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 25, 2013
I'm Feeding juiced fruit and vege pulp & mash (hops) to 14 hens and they eat it right up along with table scraps. They also get organic grains for chickens. We only get about 1-2 eggs a day. A neighbor is only feeding table scraps and grains and gets 3-4 eggs from 4 chickens.

Our hens have abut 1/4 acre to roam in so plenty of room to exercise and sun.

Insight?

I'm Feeding juiced fruit and vege pulp & mash (hops) to 14 hens and they eat it right up along with table scraps. They also get organic grains for chickens. We only get about 1-2 eggs a day. A neighbor is only feeding table scraps and grains and gets 3-4 eggs from 4 chickens.

Our hens have abut 1/4 acre to roam in so plenty of room to exercise and sun.

Insight?
Pretty much what Sepaditty1 up there asked. Also, if they have 1/4 acre are you sure they're not laying eggs somewhere in their free range?

Another thought - you're adding all the vege matter to their diet, which does 'take away' from how much of their balanced ration they're getting. They may be getting less than 16-18% protein as a result. Maybe offer them cooked beans to help boost their protein?

It is also getting late in the year...without supplemental light, this is the time of year they take a break.

Also, feel them and make sure they're not getting too fat -- fat reduces laying capacity.

No calcium supplements. Their egg shells are firm. no light in coop. 4 are 3-4 years old. 10 are 10 months old and had/have been laying since July.

they get dried beans with their grain. I thought maybe they are laying elsewhere and will check tomorrow. We had flooding in Sept. but they were never threatened. Just a lot of rain! Thanks

welcome-byc.gif

What kind of beans? Dried beans as in not cooked? I thought beans had to be cooked to be able to absorb the nutrients.

My first thoughts are not enough protein and hidden nests.

they get dried beans with their grain. I thought maybe they are laying elsewhere and will check tomorrow. We had flooding in Sept. but they were never threatened. Just a lot of rain! Thanks
Ooh! Be careful with the dried beans. it's not that they won't get the nutrients, it's that there's an enzyme in uncooked beans that is not good for chickens! It's called trypsin. ANY bean needs to be cooked to 180 degrees for at least 15 minutes to destroy the trypsin. It can scar the intestinal lining of the birds and make them have trouble absorbing their food.

No calcium supplements. Their egg shells are firm. no light in coop. 4 are 3-4 years old. 10 are 10 months old and had/have been laying since July.
The 3-4 year olds are just naturally going to lay less eggs. I have coming 3 year olds who were laying daily. Now they lay every other day. The 10 months old chooks are going through their first adult molt, more or less. They're going to stop laying so their bodies can replenish themselves after several months of hard work making eggs. You can either put up lights to get them back on track, or let them 'rest' through the winter and give them plenty of calcium and protein so they rebuild their reserves.

Chickens are amazing birds. They have a soft spongiform bone tissue inside their long bones that dissolves itself a little each and every time they form an egg shell. Then they rebuild the tissue over night with blood calcium levels, meaning even if they're laying nice firm shelled eggs, they are depleting their calcium levels. I'd offer them some oyster shell OR dried, pounded egg shells with every meal, just to give them the choice of eating some more or not!

I checked out their space and there is no indication of egg laying outside the coop. I won't be forcing them with supplemental light. I'll check out the dried beans deal. We buy our feed from a local man who has been selling this mixture for chickens for a long time. Time to question! I do include their egg shells and crunch them up but seem I sound grind them up into the food.

Many thanks for all the insight. V

Back
Top Bottom