1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

feeding kitchen scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by RedReiner, Nov 21, 2010.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I am new to chickens, have been reading through all the posts here and having a good time learning. I had no idea chickens would eat just about anything! Anyway I have 3 blue orps and have been saving my trimmings from veggies and stuff for them, they dont eat it... are they just daft? or havent learned to like it yet lol. I got them to eat tomatos but they wouldnt touch broccoli or the corn on the cob. Cottage cheese made the little craZY hen look at me like I tried to poison her. do they eventually figure out this stuff is what all the rest of the chickens in the world eat? or are they just picky? They do have layer pellets and once a day scratch. a small handful of wet cob is a favorite too. and bread... the little craZY hen can jump chest high to get it before anyone else does. they love that. but not their veggies. sheesh you would think they were picky little kids!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They are afraid of new things. Might take awhile for them to figure out you are not poisoning them.

Imp

3. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Using the same brightly colored container for their treats each time should help [​IMG]

4. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    They do try the new stuff, peck at it a little, either eat or ignore it. They also will leave the cracked corn out of their scratch. they prefer the cracked wheat lol. I am thinking I have chickens with exquisite taste!

5. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    When I try something new I usually hand feed it, or chop it up for them until they understand it is food not poison. I also use a bright red treat container, trust me I don't care what it was if it "fell" in that container the flock of feathered pirrahna would make quick work of it!!!! [​IMG]

6. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mine were like that with carrots. I just stopped feeding them anything but the top because it just bugged me that they didn't eat the whole thing. Then, one day I was in a rush and couldn't fill their feeder or swish out their water. I just yanked a large handfull of about 30 carrots from the garden and dropped them in. When I came home all that was left was the coarse stem parts attached to some decimated carrot leavings.

They definitely have favorite foods. If you just leave it for them, they will probably come back to it throuh out the day. Especially as wild greenery disappears in winter.

7. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Darn double post.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  8. RedReiner

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    I guess I will get them their own special bowl! bright pink should do lol.

I dont tend to leave any uneaten scraps out there, I prefer not to feed the rats or encourage them to hang out. I have spent 5 years clearing them out from the previous owner. when I came to look at the property they had chickens in a coop with about 50 rats hanging out with the chickens. they said oh they are just part of nature too. the rats would barely scatter at the sight of you...ummm yeah ok. I shot, trapped, poisoned, and turned loose the dogs and one lethal barn cat on them. I rarely see a sign of them these days so best to not encourage them with food left out in a yard or coop.

9. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I pity the poor rat that tries to take one of my girls treats!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Seriously I do agree w/ no rat population (ewwwww), but once they understand that is the treat bowl I don't think you'll have a problem.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree with this, also using the same bowl each time.

One thing though. My adult birds free range, so they get lots of greens that they find on their own. I have yet to find a green vegetable that they all will eat. They like carrots, corn on the cob, but won't touch other greens. One or two of the girls do like small baby peas.
    Their free range diet is perfect for them, so they come to me for the junk food - white bread, mac 'n cheese and other starches.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by