Feeding Lard to Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cmary, Mar 13, 2010.

1. cmary

cmary In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    I have read in some other posts that feeding suet to chickens can be good in colder months, but might be bad in the summer (as they are not needing the calories to stay warm).
    My housemates just realized that 3 pounds of cooking lard they had had gone bad.
    Does anyone know if I could feed that to my chickens? Right now it is cold up in NY State, but not below 20 degrees anymore, is it too warm to feed it to them? Is it all right at all to feed them lard?

I would appreciate any words of wisdom,

Thomas

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I am not an expert, mind you.

I would not feed lard that had gone bad to my chickens, anymore than i would feed it to myself. I don't really think they would even eat it if it has gone bad.

Lard in general might be o.k. - maybe as a treat ON something? Specifically if you're trying to fatten them up? I will give my chickens leftover hamburger or bacon grease on baked potatoes or something as a treat sometimes, so i would think lard would amount to the same thing. Obviously, if you're feeding them straight lard, that's not healthy. [​IMG]

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you talking suet or lard? Because there is a difference, yes there both fat but they come from different animals.
    Suet -- Suet is raw beef or mutton fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys.
    Lard -- Lard is pig fat in both its rendered and unrendered forms and need refrigerated.

(*Mutton a ewe or wether sheep having more than two permanent incisors in wear. Can also mean a sheep over a year old and or a certain weight*)

Any way if it went bad I wouldn't give it to the chickens...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  4. cmary

cmary In the Brooder

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks!
    I will throw it away...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: