1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Feeding layer crumbles too early?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Beka123, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I really didn't know that there was a differnce in chicken feed, I've had chickens for about a month and 5 of them are still pullets, I also have one rooster. I've been feeding everyone layer crumbles this whole time, and now I've been reading on this forum that it could cause problems with future laying if they are not laying yet but fed layer crumbles. Why is this and have I done damage to my girls? They are silkies, ~5 months old. Everyone lives together and I also have 3 barred rock hens who just started laying, so how could I possibly separate their feed? Also, I have 6 silkie chicks and 10 RSL male chicks (for meat) that I was also feeding the layer crumbles for approx 2-3 weeks before I realized it but since then I bought them chick food, but did I do any damage to my chicks too with the layer feed?

2. Christie Rhae

Christie Rhae Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Big Island, Hawaii
    My understanding is that the layer feed has more calcium because layers deplete their supply of calcium when they lay eggs. Birds that are not laying don't really have any way to get rid of that extra calcium. I think too much calcium can cause problems.
    I have birds of all ages including roosters so I have started feeding all of them an "all purpose" blend of feed. I then have a dish if oyster shell in the layer pens for the girls that need more. They will eat it when they need it. I didn't want the roosters eating the layer feed with the extra calcium.
    I did not know what to ask for at first when I went to the feed store so I said "I need food I can feed to roosters and chicks over 6 weeks". If you say you have layers they will try to make you buy the layer feed. lol
    Hope that helps!

3. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    Ok, I will get that thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by