Feeding layers chick feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by irishcowgirl, Jun 9, 2010.

1. irishcowgirl

irishcowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Ok so I'm going to pick up my first 2 RIRs tomorrow, [​IMG] and I thought I was buying some younger pullets, but it turns out that they are layers. [​IMG]
    I've already bought a small (5 lb) bag of medicated chick starter feed.
    Would it be alright to go ahead and let them eat this until I can get over to the feed store?
    I might be getting some Ameraucanas tomorrow as well, and I believe they are younger and have not started laying yet...

2. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    For short term, it should be fine. Long term, not enough calcium. I would be sure to offer oyster shells along with the chick feed, though.

3. irishcowgirl

irishcowgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Awesome. Is there anything else that supplies a tangible amount of calcium? Again, I'd have to make a trip down to the feed store for oyster shells. (But I'll certainly get them once I get some layer feed.) I'm so excited about my chooks! [​IMG]

4. MaggieMay'sMom

MaggieMay'sMom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2009
    N.California
    My vet told me to add crushed cuttlebone to my layer feed. My Ameraucana (Doris) started laying really big eggs and ended up egg bound. Vet said she needed more calcium on top of the oyster shells I feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by