Feeding Layers Grower Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigredfeather, Apr 3, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Is it okay to feed laying hens a Grower/Finisher feed as long as you provide free choice Calcium?

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    Probably. Do they free range? I'd keep an eye on egg quantity and quality.

3. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    I feed my laying hens Purina FlockRaiser which is a grower/finisher as well as a multi-species feed. They have oyster shells, free-choice.

It seems to be working out well. The birds get lots of scraps from the kitchen, a little scratch, and free-range for an hour or 2 every day. I like the fact that the FlockRaiser is a 20% protein feed.

Steve

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Second time today I've posted this.

For years all I fed was a 22% protein game bird grower crumble. I fed it from the day they hatched 'till the day they died. This year, I went back to a 16% layer [Purina} in an attempt to save a few bucks. Production has been terrible! By this time last year,with the same number of hens, I had hatched over 400 chicks. This year so far I have less than 100. Fertility & hatchability are fine but they just aren't laying well.
    Needles to say I have gone back to the higher protein feed & production is starting to pick up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by