Feeding Layers Mash

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by myhubbycallsmechickeemama, Jul 21, 2011.

1. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    I have 42 pullets and a few of my RIR's are starting to get really red combs and waddles. My question is, when they start laying should I change my feed to layers mash for all of them or keep them on grower until the majority start laying?

2. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I say go ahead and put them all on layer feed, if a couple of them are getting ready to start the rest are soon to follow and I believe you are supposed to put them on layer mash right before they start laying to that they can get the calcium out of the mash that they need to produce their first egg. This is what I did and it worked fine.

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. We have a special breed (British) Chocolate Orpington Bantam Attack Chicken named Hershey,
    [​IMG]

Here is Hershey with his lunch.

4. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Bwaahaahaa!!!! OMG, that is hilarious! My dog would be eating the little chicky!

Hershey is beautiful!!

5. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    Quote:Thank you!! [​IMG] I am so eggcited to get my first egg. My RIR girls are only 13 weeks and the BO's are 14 weeks. I'm really shocked that the RIR's are starting to turn red already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by